Senior Evaluations & Assessments Advisor
Democratic Republic of Congo
Company Profile :
SoCha (meaning “Social Change”) is an independent monitoring, evaluation and learning (ME&L) company that provides tailored solutions to social challenges. We are a US-registered small business with staff support offices in Nairobi, Bangkok and Mauritius. SoCha currently implements several development assistance programs in Asia and Africa.
In the DRC, SoCha is the prime contractor responsible for implementing the Mission Strategic Support Program (MSSP) of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (USAID/DRC), for a period of 5 years. The objective of MSSP is to provide technical and advisory services for monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) across the USAID’s portfolio of activities in the DRC, the CAR and Congo-Brazzaville.
MSSP supports the USAID Mission by providing strategic analysis, including data collection and quality assessments; data visualization and mapping; activity monitoring and verification; studies, assessments and performance evaluations of activities; and facilitating organizational learning and collaboration among USAID implementing partners. MSSP also works to build the capacity of the Mission and its implementing partners to use MEL to inform program design and deliver better outcomes for the population.
To support its MEL services under the MSSP project, SoCha seeks a full-time, qualified Senior Evaluations and Assessments Advisor. This is a Local Hire designated position.
The Senior Evaluation and Assessment Advisor, under the overall guidance of the Deputy Chief of Party for Field Monitoring, Evaluation and Verification, will be responsible for all aspects of delivering on a series of evaluations, assessments and studies commissioned by USAID DRC. To do this, the Senior Advisor will work closely with USAID staff, partners, and members of the MSSP technical and administrative team.
Scope of work :
The Evaluation and Assessment Advisor will be directly responsible for the following tasks:
- Planning and executing evaluations, assessments, and studies from inception to final delivery. This includes finalizing scopes of work with research questions, developing data collection tools for qualitative and quantitative assessments, methodology and protocols; planning and implementing desk reviews and data collection; ensuring quality control of quantitative and qualitative data collected in the field; undertaking data analysis; and writing reports on study findings, and presenting findings to USAID and related audiences.
- Communicating proactively and effectively with the client to finalize time-bound scopes of work, work plans and deliverables.
- Planning all phases of the execution of all Objective 3 (Evaluations, Assessment and Studies) Work Orders received from the client including procurement planning and contract administration.
- Designing questionnaires and other data collection tools and instruments and developing digital versions using KoBoToolbox, KoBoCollect, and other software applications for data collection to ensure that they work to capture the data necessary to answer the questions and meet the objectives set out by USAID.
- Managing data collection teams, including consultants and subcontractors, to ensure that data collected in the field is valid, accurate, comprehensive, and high quality.
- Develop training materials (presentations, manuals …) specific to each evaluation, assessment and study, and train data collectors using these materials.
- Analyze data collected in the field to provide robust answers to research questions.
- Write reports on findings and deliver oral presentations to USAID and related audiences.
- Work with the MSSP team to ensure that research findings are shared and fully utilized through learning events.
- Work under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party for Field Monitoring, Evaluation, and Verification and perform any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum qualifications & Experience :
- Be a national or resident of the Democratic Republic of Congo;
- Hold a Master’s degree from an accredited institution in social or political science, international development, economics, or a related field;
- Minimum of ten years of leadership or supervisory experience in designing evaluations and conducting evaluations and assessments in accordance with international donor standards in the francophone African context;
- Demonstrated experience in using qualitative and quantitative research methods (ie; both quantitative and qualitative data collection, processing, and analysis);
- Proven research and writing skills on a study or research topic;
- Demonstrated practical experience in using monitoring and evaluation and learning activities to inform activity implementation and results and;
- Minimum of ten years experience working in international development sectors, including youth, gender, health, education, economic growth, environment, climate and governance;
- International experience would be an asset
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded activities preferred.
- Proficiency in written and spoken French and English is required.
- Ability to present information, findings and recommendations in clear written and oral formats.
Position location :
Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa, with travel throughout the region as needed based on the needs of MSSP.
How to apply :
To apply, please send
- A motivational statement of no more than 1 page to convince us that you are the best candidate for this position;
- your CV highlighting your qualifications relevant to the position
- A sample of a report (preferably not older than 3 years) where you were the sole or lead author
- Three (3) references
To submit your application, please apply directly on our recruitment page on our website, using this link: https://jobs.socha.net/senior-evaluations-assessments-advisor-democratic-republic-of-congo/08/17/2023/
Candidates will only be considered if they apply directly on our website.
Position will remain open to applicants until it is filled.