ADRA DRC -Tudienzele Job Description
Title: Deputy Chief of Party
Reports to:Chief of Party for Tudienzele
Supervises:Purpose 1 Lead, Purpose 2 Lead, SBC Lead, GYSI Lead, Capacity Building & Governance Advisor, Environmental Compliance Lead
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a global humanitarian organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that demonstrates God’s love and compassion. ADRA works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change through empowering partnerships and responsible action.
ADRA is starting up a five-year, USAID/BHA-funded Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) called Tudienzele, in Kasai, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and seeks a passionate, engaged Deputy Chief of Party who embodies our values of connectedness, courage and compassion.All candidates must understand, respect and honor the mission, purpose, and identity of ADRA International.
Based in Tshikapa, Kasai, DRC, and reporting to the Chief of Party, the Deputy Chief of Party will provide technical oversight and guidance for Tudienzele technical leads, including the Purpose 1 Lead (increased incomes through access to finance, enterprise growth, and agricultural production); Purpose 2 Lead (Nutrition and WASH behaviors); Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Lead; Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion (GYSI) Lead; Capacity Building and Governance Advisor; and Environmental Compliance Lead. She/he will lead the technical team to strategically deliver integrated intervention packages to participating communities and households. The DCOP will lead the development and supervise the implementation of annual workplans, quarterly programmatic reports, and other deliverables, working closely with subject matter experts and the COP to manage challenges, course-correct, and deliver technical quality in alignment with donor requirements, best practices and ADRA procedures.
- Master’s degree, or higher, in economics, business administration, public administration, agriculture, international development, or a related field
- 7+ years’ of relevant, increasing management and leadership responsibility for food security development programs funded by USAID or similar donors
- Proven experience successfully recruiting, developing, and managing staff for a positive, engaging work culture
- Experience managing cooperative agreements involving commodity management
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners
- Experience in international not-for-profit environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Language: French & English
- Professional experience delivering development programming in DRC
- Knowledge of local languages, including Lingala or Tshiluba
- Deciding and Initiating Action (1.1) – Makes prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks.
- Leading and Supervising (1.2) – Provides others with a clear direction; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
- Planning and Organising (6.1) – Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances.
- Persuadingand Influencing (3.2) – Makes a strong personal impression on others; gains clear agreement and commitment from others.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, ensure high-quality technical programming through hands-on staff supervision and partner support grounded in the program’s strategic objectives and adhering to expected technical quality and reporting requirements
- Develop and maintain a safe environment that encourages the sharing of problems, ideas, and solutions, and efficiently and effectively adapt approaches to appropriately respond to feedback while respecting and prioritizing the needs of communities, especially the most vulnerable.
- Provide strategic oversight and leadership for the project’s technical work through an integrated vision, commitment to Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA) and continuous improvement of quality, and innovation in food security activities
- Plan and coordinate food security activities in the field in collaboration with staff, technical partners, and key stakeholders.
- Participate in planning and adjusting the program design to ensure achievement of all the strategic objectives.
- Develop methods and mechanisms to ensure technical interventions are integrated, layered and sequenced appropriately at all levels of implementation within the project and across food security programming in target geographic areas and where relevant, and identify opportunities for synergy and inter-sectoral cooperation.
- Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Lead and the Strategic Learning Advisor to ensure that M&E and learning feedback loops are being properly fed into and utilized by the technical field staff
- Ensure quarterly and annual reports are produced and delivered on time and in high-quality reports which meet donor and support agencies requirements
- Ensure systematic and effective implementation of the program through extensive and regular field visits to accessible field offices, projects locations, and implementing corrective measures to keep the projects on the right track.
- Represent the program and ADRA in meetings with local authorities, private and public sector stakeholders, and partners, as requested by the COP
- Participate in Project Coordination Unit meetings
- Temporarily assume COP management and leadership responsibilities when he/she is absent
Travel required. Must have the ability to travel on short notice if necessary.
MENTAL/EMOTIONAL REQUIREMENTS :
Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer service-oriented environment; to perform duties under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner; to work as part of a team as well as to complete assignments independently; to take instructions from supervisors; to exercise problem-solving skills; and to interact with co-workers, supervisors, network employees, donors and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Qualified females are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your resume to www.adra.org/careerson or before 18 November 2023