Title: Strengthened Livelihoods and Increased Incomes Lead
Reports to: Chief of Party
Supervises: Specialists in Agriculture and Livelihoods
Revised: January 2023
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency is a global humanitarian organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that demonstrates God’s love and compassion. ADRA works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change through empowering partnerships and responsible action.
The successful candidate must understand, respect and honor the mission, purpose and identity of ADRA.
ADRA International is seeking an Agriculture and Livelihoods Lead for an anticipated USAID/BHA–funded Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The project aims to reduce and prevent chronic malnutrition in the regions with severe, chronic food insecurity and malnutrition. For over 20 years, ADRA has implemented relief and development activities in DRC with funding from major international donors, including USAID. The Agriculture and Livelihoods Advisor will be responsible for the oversight and guidance to the design and implementation of related activities.
This position will be based in Kasai Region in DRC. It is contingent upon receipt of funding and requires donor approval.
- Master’s degree in business, agriculture, agrobusiness, agronomy or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical and managerial roles, with increasing responsibility leading to senior level expertise. USAID / Other internationally-funded project management experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading large scale agriculture and livelihood programs intended to improve food, nutrition and economic security (FNES) through agricultural production and household resilience.
- Technical knowledge with savings and capital, income generating activities (IGAs) and agricultural production. Must be an expert in agriculture plus savings and capital and/or IGAs;
- Demonstrated experience creating effective private sector linkages that create sustainable win opportunities for the businesses and project participants.
- Demonstrated experience working with, and addressing barriers within, agricultural market systems, input and output markets, seed systems; as well an understanding of behavioral constraints (regulatory, cultural, operating environments) to implementing agriculture interventions.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and aligning climate smart agriculture with market demand.
- Experience implementing interventions for the development and enhancement of sustainable livelihood interventions including on-farm, off-farm, and non-farm activities.
- Experience working in DRC preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to network and engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge and familiarity with USAID/BHA funding.
- Written and spoken command of English and French languages.
- Knowledge in Congolese language(s) specific to the region preferred.
- Leading and Supervising – Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high caliber; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behavior; give regular feedback.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks clearly and fluently; expresses opinions, information, and key points of an argument clearly.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realize organizational goals; sets and develops strategies.
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Provide leadership, management, and supervision of the Purpose 1 (Strengthened Livelihoods and Increased Incomes) team to achieve activity objectives and outcomes.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight of agriculture and livelihood programming to improve FNES through agricultural production and household resilience.
- Manage activity interventions and livelihood strategies/approaches that lead to small business development, livelihood resilience and diversification, market linkages, and private sector engagement.
- Ensure that donor and international humanitarian standards are adhered to through project reviews and site visits.
- Apply agriculture and livelihoods best practices, trends priorities, and innovative methods to enhance and ensure the success of the project
- Develop tools for successful implementation, monitoring and reporting of related interventions
- Develop/update technical strategies, standard and protocols relating to the project
- Document and report on any learning or best practices identified during the project interventions
- Manage collaborating, learning, and adapting approaches that apply learning and best practices that promote adaptive project management, collaboration with the GDRC, and other USAID and donor activities.
- Prepare Purpose 1 reporting and planning documents as needed.
- Communicate with the project team and ADRA International team any successes and issues that arise during the execution of the project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Travel required. Must have the ability to travel on short notice if necessary.
How to apply
To apply, please go to adra.org/careers