VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone. Our vision is a world where every person has the health care needed to thrive. Our programs focus building people-centered health systems that make sure health products and services are available when and where they are needed, with a focus on developing scalable, high-impact solutions. We are driven by a passion for collaboration and partnership, as we believe strongly that collective action is the only way to achieve sustainable change. Our work improves the lives of more than 100 million people in sub-Saharan Africa.
VillageReach is in incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
The Global Health Systems Technical team takes a systems and cross-technical approach to ensure delivery of equitable primary health care. VillageReach is seeking a Solution Costing Associate to support our programs to understand their implementation and operational costs to ensure their sustainability. VillageReach’s solutions cover digital health information systems, supply chain and data analytics. The ideal candidate will be able provide expert advice to VillageReach program staff, to governments and to private sector partners on decisions needed for developing and managing affordable health solutions and build their capacity to understand and use cost data.
Candidates eligible to work in DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, or South Africa are eligible to apply. This position does not qualify for relocation or work permit sponsorship. This position is under the Global Technical Team, with accountability to the relevant Country Director, if geographically located in one of VillageReach’s offices. The Solution Costing Associate will work closely with team’s Health Economist.
The Solution Costing Associate position is full-time based preferably out of one of the VillageReach’s offices, but remote candidate with work permits in one of the countries listed above are also eligible to apply. One of VillageReach’s pillars is driving sustained impact through transitioning our solutions to governments or partners. To enable successful transition, we are hiring a Solution Costing Associate to lead our Solution Costing work and support programs and solution owners to
- provide expert advice on cost to solution design, scale, replication and transition, (2) develop and implement processes and tools, (3) develop capacity of government teams and their partners to use the tools in managing and improving solution costs, and (4) design and develop frameworks that VillageReach, governments, and private sector partners can use to understand and estimate costs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities are included in the list below. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time. The approximate breakdown of time on yearly basis is provided for each major activity.
- Costing frameworks (15%): For each solution – identify standard cost elements (capital expenditure and on-going annual operating expenses) and associated cost structures for VillageReach solutions; – define cost allocation rules; – develop associated cost analysis tools that can be used by solution owners and program managers – Cost estimating (20%): For each solution, develop solution cost estimates for solution design, scale-up, replication and transition based on key volume and coverage assumptions provided by solution owners, program managers and government; define and agree target key cost ratios – Cost management tools and processes (20%): – For each solution, develop cost management processes and reporting tools that can be used by VillageReach program teams and government employees to visualize costs – Provide training on processes and tools to internal and external stakeholders – Support solution owners and program managers to track cost evolution and variance to targets. – Cost improvement (20%): For each solution, work with solution owners and program managers to identify the key cost drivers, model the cost impact of implementing changes to the solution or to the enabling environment, and support development of a cost improvement plan for execution by VillageReach and government teams. – Ad hoc costing studies (10%): Analyze and synthesize complementary and competing factors to determine trade- offs (e.g., resources, capital, technology, government existing capabilities) and drive decision-making on alternative design options based on key assumptions provided the program team. – Government budgeting support (10%): Work with VillageReach’s Health Economist to support governments in budgeting for VillageReach solutions that are transitioning. This includes translating program cost categories into government budget categories. – External dissemination (5%): Write articles, case studies, presentations etc. to share VillageReach’s experience and learnings on the role of solution costing to lead to sustainability
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might
demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully
around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities and is an advisory position to solutions owners and program managers. Education & Experience:
- BA/BS or equivalent degree with at least five (5) years of relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience is required. – Minimum 5 years’ work experience advising organizations on how to improve the costs of goods or services or audit firm experience with service industry clients – Management accounting qualification or work experience in Management Consulting – Certification from a professional association (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants or Institute of Management Accountants) is an advantage – Proven experience in identifying opportunities to improve costs of goods and services without reducing performance or quality – Project management experience working across time zones and multiple offices preferred
- Candidates eligible to work in DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, or South Africa are eligible to apply, with preference for those based in countries with a VillageReach office (Mozambique, DRC, Malawi) – Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, Teams), more specifically Excel (pivot tables, power query, etc.) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment. – Strong analytical thinking, excellent math skills and ability to communicate and present analysis is essential – Experience in developing and managing a cost database – Experience in applying cost analysis skills to public health is a plus – Proven experience in influencing and strengthening the capacity of non-experts on the managerial use of costing – Skillful written and verbal communication with ability to synthesize and deliver information to diverse audiences in a clear and concise way. – Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural, and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working under-served, and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low- and middle- income country (LMIC) a plus. – Experience or ability working with diverse stakeholders and collate information from multiple sources – Ability to leverage other technical teams to support the work, such as data analytics and research, evidence and learning teams – Self-motivated; independent worker able to set and meet deadlines. Proactive about reaching out to colleagues to complete responsibilities or asking for direction when needed – Previous experience working with LMIC governments preferred – Full professional proficiency in written and spoken English. Fluency in French or Portuguese is a bonus
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm CAT and US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the end February 2023. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
A practical case with Excel and a PowerPoint presentation will be required as part of the hiring process.
VillageReach is committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults, and beneficiaries with whom it engages. We expect everyone working with us to share this commitment through our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which may include criminal records. VillageReach participates in the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and, in line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. The range for this position is in the United States is $66,400 to $77,200. Outside the US, the range varies based on the location of the individual based the local labour market. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
How to apply
Click the following link: https://apply.workable.com/j/6E6FE93E3B or check out the VillageReach website: https://www.villagereach.org/get-involved/work-for-us/?type_filter=jobs#opportunities