Closing date 30 Nov 2022
World Relief is a unique and invigorating place to work. We are looking for talented, ambitious and collaborative people to come alongside our mission, vision and values as we partner with churches to empower the most vulnerable in the world. We hope these resources provide more insight into your hiring journey with us.
To design and manage all accounting systems of the World Relief DR Congo Program ensuring that all financial transactions are fully accounted for and to manage the Human Resources and Administrative functions. The Director of Finance and Administration will carry out his/her responsibilities as part of a multi-sectoral team. This position requires a professional who possesses knowledge of administration, accounting, human resources and finance functions and responsibilities as they specifically relate to the operation of a relief and development program.
- Report to WR-Headquarters as required by WR accounting standards
- Report to Country Director, International Finance Specialist, and Program Officers on applicable financial information to assist them in their responsibilities
- Provide technical supervision, oversight and training to all finance staff
- Provide leadership and oversight to the Human Resources team and Administrative staff
- Review accounting systems, practices and reports of WR partners to assure compliance with accounting standards, donor intent, and signed agreements
- Review current policies and procedures and work with the HO Finance and the Country Director to improve them and implement changes
- Facilitate conduct of external audit at least annually and provide prompt response on audit needs for general WR or other program specific audit
- Assist with developing budgets for new programs and proposals
- Collaborate with program staff to monitor program budgets on a regular basis
- Oversees the protection of WR’s country assets through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures
- Maintain current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements
- Principal liaison with World Relief Headquarters on all finance, accounting, grant budget management, and cash management
- Prepare all donor financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements and ensures the review of such reports by the Country Director and HQ finance prior to submission
- Develop, schedule and perform or supervise the completion of internal control audits and initiate necessary actions to correct control weaknesses
- Supervise all bank relations and bank account activities
- Oversee the timely preparation review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the DR Congo Country Director
- Perform payroll functions for all local staff employees
- Responsible for supervising local finance and human resources assistants
- Responsible for ensuring that the DR Congo program is in compliance with local and national GoSS employment rules and regulations
- Travel to the field at least once a quarter to do financial spot checks/internal audits at sub-bases.
- Assist and spearhead development of key Human Resources and Finance Department documents with staff and/or external consultants
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Prior multi-cultural team leadership experience, independent thinker and self-starter.
- Analytical and organized with excellent time management skills
- Strong mentoring and capacity building skills of staff
- Previous employment with a not for profit organization that receives funding from multiple sources, preferably in an international context.
- Fluency in English and French required. Swahili fluency highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a suitable field, Master’s degree or recognized professional certification such as CPA, preferred.
- Computer literate, with experience in MS Office package and other financial packages. Excellent Excel skills required
- Ability to manage budgets, financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking
- Experience managing US government or other international donor-funded project budgets and reports essential
- Excellent written and verbal English and French communication skills
- Personal Christian Faith and a heart for serving vulnerable people -Committed to Mission, Vision, and Values of World Relief
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
- The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information
- The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear
- General office setting
- Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in skype meetings may be required
- Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending
- Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
- Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package (25 hours + per week):
World Relief contributes to monthly premiums:
- Offer 16 Paid Holidays!
- Offer Paid Sick and Vacation Leave
- Paid Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- FSAs: Medical & Dependent Care, & Commuter Funding
- Supplemental Life Insurance (employee, spouse, and children)
- Generous R&R package, accommodation and per diem coverage
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
- Group Term Life (employee, spouse, and children)
- Long Term & Short-term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Long Distant Travel Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
World Relief – Retirement:
- 401K & Roth
- WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
- Eligibility: Full Time is eligible after 3 months of employment. Part-time is eligible after 1000 hours in a year
World Relief Discounts (Immediately Eligible):
- Pet Insurance through Nationwide
- Home and Auto insurance through Liberty Mutual
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Legal Background in the United States
World Relief is both an equal-opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. This means that we conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, membership in any labor organization, political ideology, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual. The status of World Relief as an equal opportunity employer does not prevent the organization from hiring staff based on their religious beliefs, so that all staff share the same religious commitment.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.
How to apply
Click on the link below to apply: