Feed the Future DRC Fall Armyworm Activity
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Position title: Gender Specialist
Location: Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Reports to: Chief of Party
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening local agriculture, helping agribusinesses create jobs and linking farmers to markets. Since 1981, it has implemented over 315 integrated dairy, livestock and crops development programs in nearly 80 countries — creating lasting impact by linking farmers, businesses, and the public and private sector in local and global contexts. Land O’Lakes Venture37’s long-standing affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc. sets it apart. Land O’Lakes, Inc. is one of America’s largest farmer-owned cooperatives. It supports Land O’Lakes Venture37 project implementation with nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights and technologies. This gives Land O’Lakes Venture37 development projects a unique global view of agriculture, food and the power of well-functioning market systems. Land O’Lakes, Inc. supports these efforts as part of its enterprise purpose of Feeding Human Progress at home and around the world.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 (Venture37) is implementing the Feed the Future DRC Fall Armyworm Activity to improve Fall Armyworm (FAW) management in maize for smallholder farmers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The project has three components: 1) validation of safe and cost-effective integrated pest management (IPM) technologies, practices and approaches suitable for small-scale maize producers; 2) facilitation of the adoption by smallholders and the system of appropriate technologies, practices and approaches that will strengthen the resilience of maize small producers and the support market system; and (3) strengthen the enabling environment needed to coordinate systemic approaches to manage FAW.
As part of the project, Land O’Lakes Venture37 is seeking to hire a Gender Specialist to focus on Gender Equality and Social inclusion (GESI) strategy, approaches, plannings and activities of the Land O’Lakes Venture37 DRC program.
The Gender Specialist will lead program activities to promote the integration of women farmers into program components — from crop production, to crop marketing opportunities. The Gender Specialist will perform cross-cutting duties and will work daily with project technical team and M&E staff. The Gender Specialist will report to the DCOP.
- Lead women-focused trainings on agribusiness practices, marketing strategies, and crop production.
- Contribute to preparing and providing training modules across all project activities and stakeholders to ensure gender issues are properly integrated and addressed.
- Monitor prospective activities and ensure gender themes are being addressed and activities are structured to maximize women’s participation while minimizing the chances for conflict because of women’s participation.
- Ensure gender programmatic activities are within scope of the project, align with best practices, and work toward achieving sustainable results.
- Develop materials and provide training on gender integration and gender sensitivity to staff and stakeholders to ensure adequate and efficient interventions are being provided
- Communicate daily with M&E Manager regarding current activities, situational reality and future activities planned
- Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation Team to ensure indicator data is collected accurately, documented, and collected according to guidelines set forth
- Willingness to travel to field frequently as required by the project.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Gender, Women’s Studies, Agricultural Economics, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working with women’s agricultural groups or women-related support programs in the DRC.
- Demonstrated experience working with maize and crop production, agricultural inputs, and agribusiness for small producers.
- Proven ability to train small agricultural producers, specifically women producers.
- Demonstrated experience collecting qualitative and gender related data.
- Fluency in French.
- Fluency in one or several of the following languages Swahili, Kisongye, Lingala, Kikongo and/or Tshiluba
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience in a similar post is desirable
- Minimum of 5-years’ experience and at least 3 years leading and coordinating training
- Experience working with international development projects in the agriculture sector.
To Apply, please submit your application to this address, no later than 31 May 2023:
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 will never ask you for personable identifiable information, and we will never request money or payment during the recruitment or employment process.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors. Our culture values a diversity of voices. So bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle, and your dreams – they’ll only make us stronger.