SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Programme Assistant
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/009/2021
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia**
Classification: General Service, Grade G5**
Type of Appointment: Short term, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 08 July, 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) unit in Somalia focuses its interventions on fostering synergies between labour migration and development, and adoption of measures to maximize migration outcomes.
One of the largest programmes in IOM Somalia is the Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA), a capacity building programme, which aims to strengthen the capacity of government institutions through engagement of Somali diaspora. To date, the programme has placed more than 600 Somali experts’ assignments at various ministries and institutions. IOM has focused on a broad range of sectors including: Justice, Public Financial Management, Public Works, Health and Education, which are crucial for the economic and social development and the stability of Somalia.
The LHD division is also committed to promoting greater mobility and to optimizing the benefits of labour migration for both the countries of origin and destination, as well as for the migrants themselves. In this regard, IOM Somalia is working closely with key government institutions to strengthen institutional capacity and support in the formulation of labour migration-related policies, legislation, and effective labour migration strategies.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission for IOM Somalia and under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Program Assistant will be responsible for providing support in the planning and timely implementation of LHD projects in Somalia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate LHD programme meetings with partner institutions, UN agencies, programme beneficiaries and other international partners including preparation of the agenda, venue and taking minutes of meetings.
- Support proper implementation of LHD programme activities at the field level in coordination with the Programme Manager.
- Facilitate orientation sessions of LHD experts/local Advisors on the programme i.e., insurance, contracts, and conditions for payments; travel; security and the overall objective of the LHD programme.
- Conduct regular site visits to the institutions where the LHD participants are assigned to discuss performance-related matters and identify challenges that IOM may need to address to ensure a conducive work environment.
- Coordinate with authorities in the institutions to verify that LHD contracts are signed and LHD administrative procedures are followed such as bank forms and vendor forms for the MIDA participants.
- Provide regular written and oral reports to the LHD Programme Manager on the activities in Mogadishu as well as regional states.
- Closely monitor all Labour and Human Mobility (LHD) activities on the ground; identify deviations and propose corrective actions.
- Compile tracking system and follow up reports from programme participants to ensure that report submission is on track, and that all participants meet their contractual obligations.
- Closely monitor and communicate security-related information with programme participants.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· University degree in Political Science, or Social Sciences, Business Administration, International Relations, International Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
· High School Degree with five years of experience in the above field.
· Working experience in programme development, implementation, monitoring, and reporting is an experience.
· Experience performing work in international or non-governmental organization(s).
· Experience working in instructional capacity building governance, and development. Experience working with the Somali diaspora is an advantage.
· Experience working with Somali Institutions and Somali Government officials.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows. Experience with web design or video editing, and website management is an advantage.
· Knowledge of IOM’s administrative procedures and administrative functions is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required. **
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org**
From 25.06.2021 to 08.07.2021