Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
The 2016 Puntland education sector analysis findings indicated that there were children who had difficulty accessing education. It further highlights the reasons for children being out of school such as poverty, disabilities, pastoralist & nomadic lifestyles, gender preferences disadvantaging girls, internal displacements, migration, minority status & child labour as some of primary barriers to children’s education in Puntland. Poor resource availability (on the part of families, NGOs & the govt.) appears to be impacting negatively on rates of enrolment, there appears to be particularly poor access for pastoralists & other marginalised groups, but the situation has improved substantially in recent years. There is evidence to indicate that efforts to improve equity within the education sector have been limited in some cases due to huge gap in school infrastructure. There is lack of adequate classroom & WASH facilities in schools to address to promote access & equity between boys & girls particularly those from other disadvantaged groups. The GPE funded ESSP key objective is to achieve:
- New construction & rehabilitation of 40 permanent classrooms including furniture supply, desk / chairs / cupboards.
- Construct new primary schools.
- Rehabilitate 20 additional classrooms.
- Rehabilitate 5 classrooms for Early Childhoods Education (ECE).
- Construct of new 40 TLS.
- Furnish with school desk / chairs / desks cupboards & adequate WASH facility.
- Construction of 1 new EiE warehouse for storage.
- Construct office unit of the Puntland Ministry of Education & equip with necessary furniture items.
- Installation of 70 fiber plastic tanks for water storage (capacity: 8000 / 10000 liters) in hard to reach areas.
- Rehabilitation implementation for Garowe Teacher Training College (GTEC).
- Construct Teachers’ Resource Centre (TRC) with gender sensitive in Bosaso / armo, supply furniture & equipment.
- Construct Teachers’ Resource Centre (TRC) with gender sensitive in Galkayo & supply furniture & equipment.
- Construct Curriculum Development Center (CDC) in Garowe, supply, install furniture & equipment.
- Construct 3 girls’ friendly spaces that meets gender & disability standards.
The overall purpose of this assignment is to support the monitoring & reporting on all stages of works for the above projects, including the identification of consultants with the capability to provide feasibility assessments, design services & construction monitoring & site, supervision services in Puntland for various categories of facilities, to make sure the consulting firms build the capacity of the MoEHE on infrastructure project management, provide full monitoring & reporting on design & supervision of the construction work under the GPE funded project. This assignment will carry out review of site assessment reports, review of drawings & technical specification, BOQ’s & cost estimates, site inspection & site meetings. Specific responsibilities include:
- Monitor & report on technical field assessments to inform the design & planning work of the international architect & meet relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor the technical to during technical drawings, BOQ’s as required & in close cooperation with the Construction Engineer provide feedback & reports.
- Participate in all client meetings in Garowe related to tendering of rehabilitation & construction works, including tender evaluation committee.
- Monitor progress & quality of all infrastructure rehabilitation & construction projects daily under partner implementation.
- Oversee the construction process at the site of works & report back on progress & quality issues to the Construction Engineer. Advice, provide guidance & feedback to implementing partners & subcontractors, as requested, including preparation of schedules of construction, support of variation & change claims.
- Check if all construction works are carried out in accordance with specifications, BOQ’s & cost estimates indicated in the relevant contract documents & cooperation agreements, report back & alert the Construction Engineer about any observed deviations.
- Maintain records of the quantities of works (& work components) executed by consulting engineering firms & the contractors, jointly with the Construction Engineer, prepare inventories of completed works for the certification of the payments.
- Assist in the preparation documents for final inspection of works & hand over to the beneficiaries.
- Maintain organized files (electronic / hard copy) containing all pertinent documentation on the construction projects & all other construction activities.
- Conduct joint site assessments with partner engineers & implementing partners.
- Regular update the Construction Engineer on work progress & issue arising around the rehabilitation / construction works.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings & other meetings as required.
- Translate relevant documents from Somali to English & vice – versa when needed.
- Any further tasks as assigned by the Education Specialist & / or Construction Specialist to support other projects where required.
In close consultation with the Construction Engineer, the Construction Officer will monitor & advise on all projects under GPE funding. In some situations, the Construction Officer shall be given the liberty to approve, signoff & give instructions as necessary. However, unlike the projects implemented directly by our client, for the projects implemented by partners, the Construction Officer shall reserve their capacity to signoff & approve any works or payments unless permitted by the Construction Engineer. The Construction Officer in specific shall be required to:
Assist with the bidding & tender evaluations processes:
- Provide technical inputs by working closely with supply section, program sections & implementing partners to ensure that the bidding process, technical & financial evaluations, negotiations (if any) & contracts awarded are in accordance with our clients standards, rules & policy.
- Review & evaluate the technical & financial bids as requested in line with the instructions to bidder & evaluation criteria.
During all stages of construction works be accountable for onsite project monitoring & reporting on a regular basis:
- Conduct mobilisation meetings for all projects & approve contractor’s workplan, staffing schedule & methodology. Organise formal onsite mobilisations with relevant stakeholders & ensure all project documentation & certifications are in place prior to the beginning of works.
- Conduct regular site inspections at all project sites ensuring work is being undertaken according to the drawings, standards, specifications, timeline & budget. Ensure monitoring of the construction work at critical stages & hold points.
- Monitor the overall works of all contractors (construction, supervision etc.) & ensure key deliverables, contract items & quality of workmanship is being met.
- To advise on any potential risks & propose corrective measures, regarding project timeline, project budget & quality of the works.
Coordination of all construction & project related contracts:
- Ensure detailed records are kept according to our clients standards to contribute to the preparation of official reports (including donor reports), enabling real time tracking of construction progress.
- Organise overall project coordinating tools to ensure smooth implementation & delivery between the varying project contracts. Know in advance key dates, milestones & advise on any potential errors or risks in advance to ensure timely delivery of project.
- Evaluate the quality of construction works upon completion or at certain milestones & make recommendation for payments to be made to contractors or implementing partners.
Ensure good working relations & communicate project status with contractors & stakeholders as directed:
- Ensure all parties are updated on project progress regularly.
- Undertake arrangements for visits to construction project sites for govt. & other stakeholders, which includes providing information & briefing on project activities & status.
- Communicate with local stakeholders on construction project details. Discuss recommended courses of action with the Construction Engineer.
- Report back to the Construction Engineer on any issues from the field including variation orders & advise accordingly.
- Following site visits prepare routine inspection reports documenting results of visits & project progress.
- Maintain ongoing project monitoring & tracking tools including tables, reports, project tracking documents as required by our client & donors.
- Assist with drafting construction sections of donor, annual & other reports, as required by HQ & supply division.
- Provide updated information on program / project financial & administrative status for analysis & report purposes. Analyse construction program / project status & recommend appropriate adjustments. Prepare tables, graphs or other statistical data for technical review / monitoring purposes.
- Reporting on progress monthly, the Construction Officer will be supervised by the Education Specialist with technical supervision & guidance from the Construction Specialist & oversight from Chief of Field Office & Chief of Education.
- The Construction Officer will have no supervisory responsibility however, will collaborate with the zonal team, MOEHE team, particularly MOEHE Construction Engineer.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- University Degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering related to Design, Construction & Maintenance of Structures.
- At least 5 years’ experience working on construction projects in a project coordination capacity.
- Evident experience in managing simple & complex construction & rehabilitation projects.
- Ability to frequently travel all regions & districts in Puntland state of Somalia.
- Ability to work with different govt. departments.
- At least five years’ experience working on construction projects in a project coordination capacity is desirable.
- Strong experience in Puntland program area is an added value for successful program monitoring & quality assurance.
- Must be fluent in both Somali & English.
- Diversity & inclusion.
- Working with people.
- Drive for results.
- Deciding & initiating action.
- Planning & organizing.
- Applying technical expertise.
- Following instructions & procedures.
Other relevant information:
- Ability to frequently travel all regions & districts in Puntland state of Somalia.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Candidates applying for this role MUST upload a copy of the latest resume on the candidate profiles.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: