RefuSHE protects, nurtures, educates, and empowers young refugee women and girls in East Africa through a unique holistic model that provides shelter, education, case management, counseling, childcare, legal advocacy, and vocational training. RefuSHE’s holistic program meets the imminent needs of unaccompanied, separated and orphaned refugee girls, young women, and their children.
Founded in 2008, RefuSHE is a U.S. nonprofit with headquarters in Chicago and operations in Nairobi, Kenya. It is the first and only organization dedicated to refugee girls in East Africa. Over the past twelve years, RefuSHE has grown to become a leading institution and global thought-leader in the field of refugee protection.
Position Title: Digital Education & Innovation Manager
Reporting: Chief Program Officer
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Type: National
Contract type: Fixed term contract – 1 year with possibility of renewal based on performance and funding.
Proposed start date: 2nd August 2021
Our mission is to protect, educate, and empower orphaned, unaccompanied, or separated refugee girls and young women and to help them build healthier and more resilient futures for themselves and their children.
RefuSHE is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as the Digital Education & Innovation Manager in Kenya. This position will report directly to the Chief Program Officer. The Officer will be responsible for managing the development and pilot launch of RefuSHE’s flagship e-learning & wellness platform in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation, Kytabu, Wazi, and Education Design Unlimited. The platform aims to bring livehood-centric education and mental health education and services to urban refugees, with a specific emphasis on women. S/he will work closely with RefuSHE’s partners to carry the product through the development and launch phases, and lead the development and implementation of the 3-5 year product road map / plans for scale.
The ideal candidate has experience in education technology and product development, human centered design, excellent project and people management skills, instructional design, and/or digital literacy. S/he will have a strong understanding and vision of how to translate pedagogy and counselling methodologies into a digital format to be used by urban refugee young women that is easy to engage with and sets them up for success in their personal and professional lives. S/he should have a passion for working with young people and refugees and an understanding of the challenges facing refugees in the informal sector in Kenya. S/he will be proactive and self-motivated to advance the use of technology for education and mental health. S/he must also have strong writing skills, as there are two major written deliverables in this scope of work. Finally, the Digital Education & Innovation Manager will be a visionary and creative who can link the product’s future to RefuSHE’s visions for scale and impact, and clearly articulate these in a 3-5 year road map.
Product Development and Launch
- Serve as the RefuSHE lead team member responsible for managing the development and pilot launch of the e-learning & wellness platform; following the launch, lead the product iteration process with partners and other stakeholders.
- With partners and RefuSHE’s M&E Manager, identify key metrics for evaluating the platform’s outcomes and impact and identify how to measure these.
- Play an active leadership role as a member of the collaborative working group focused on designing, developing, and launching the platform.
- Work with RefuSHE’s teachers, case managers, and counsellors to create digital content for the platform as needed.
- Identify potential partners for hybrid/in-person learning to complement the Platform and partners for the co-creation of digital content for the platform.
- Develop partnerships with the government and private sector partners, including TVET institutions as well as other NGOs, that include win-win scenarios for virtual and in-person learning.
- As partnerships are solidified, draft clear and specific agreements and MOUs with partners in relationship to digital content and in-person learning venues.
- In partnership with RefuSHE’s Community Outreach team, develop and oversee the mobilization, selection, and training of community ambassadors for the platform.
- Lead the development and ownership of the 3-5 year product roadmap / strategy for the platform, and ensure plans for scale link to RefuSHE’s vision.
- Serve as the RefuSHE lead team member responsible for managing the Mastercard Foundation e-Learning program.
- With finance team, manage Mastercard Foundation program budget and ensure strong compliance.
- Participate in bi-monthly check-ins with Mastercard Foundation and report out on platform progress, challenges, and strategy in detail.
- Draft program quarterly reports and support in the data collection of program outcomes and impacts in collaboration with the M&E Manager.
- With partners, lead the compilation and drafting of the Platform Phase 2 report following beta-testing.
- Prepare a post-launch SWOT and final report that outlines how the product is doing, user insights, successes, opportunities, and challenges, and an assessment on its ability to be rolled out in other countries.
Lead the outline and writing of a case study on the platform development and launch journey to share externally with the larger refugee-serving community. The case study will follow the discovery, design, and development journey of the partnership and provide key learnings, take-aways, and outcomes. The case study will inform the larger global discussion around digital learning opportunities and mental health support for refugees, as well as promote the RefuSHE/Kytabu product. Note that this will require the Digital Education & Innovation Manager to review past documentation of the learning journey as well as interview all involved parties so that s/he is familiar with the nuances of the design journey before his/her arrival.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in ed-tech, instructional design, product development or digital literacy; experience must be directly related to the responsibilities in this scope of work.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as education, education technology, social work, or nonprofit management is required. Masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience managing diverse group / team dynamics and excellent interpersonal skills; ability to manage multiple points of view, ensure inclusion of opinion, facilitate productive conversations, and manage nuance to result in a clear outcome or take-away is critical.
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing external facing reports and publications.
- A strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- Must be a self-starter and able to produce high quality work outcomes without significant oversight.
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience managing donor-funded programs, including budget management.
- An engaging and supportive leader, with a track record of motivating and inspiring others to achieve impact through creativity and teamwork and of leveraging individual strengths to meet organizational goals.
- Experience building partnerships is highly valued.
- Ability to engage refugees across Nairobi’s communities and a desire to understand their needs and ambitions.
- Adaptable and reliable in the face of changing priorities.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- The ability to work and live in Kenya.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is competitive and based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. The benefits package includes medical healthcare coverage and pension.
How to apply
Your application should be sent to email@example.com indicating the position title in the email subject by close of business 9th July 2021. It should include a cover letter, detailed CV and relevant credentials.
HR & Administration Manager
P.O. Box 63192-00619, Nairobi
Applications shall be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.