The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Mambasa, Ituri Province, in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Taking the security situation into account, travel for work will be required to other project sites, as needed.
The aim of Welthungerhilfe’s country programme in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the prevention of malnutrition, especially for the most vulnerable, the structuring of farmers’ organisations, the improvement of agricultural value chain and the diversification of production. As Expert Infrastructure you will take the leading role in implementing infrastructure components and manage all activities related to the implementation of road construction and small infrastructure works including bridges, water catchment installations and similar constructions within the project/s in Eastern Congo.
- Take the lead role in the implementation of activities within infrastructure components according to the project design and the approved budget
- Organization of all activities related to the implementation of road construction and small infrastructure works such as bridges, water catchment installations, nozzles and other constructions
- Identify, design, implement, monitor and report on all construction activities in the assigned locations
- Confirm the completion of construction works and provide technical support to the Country Team and the Area Management
- Issue interim payment certificates, variation orders, lists of construction defects and final completion certificates
- Monitor the rectification of defects within the retention periods in close cooperation with Welthungerhilfe’s technical advisors and field engineers in all aspects of the programme activities
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field like structural/civil engineering
- A minimum of 5 years experience in civil engineering
- Extensive experience in the rehabilitation and construction of rural roads and infrastructure works
- Regional working experience in DRC and Central Africa would be an advantage
- KFW donor experience desirable
- Excellent communication and intercultural skills
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to work in areas with volatile local conditions
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English and French; Swahili language skills will be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
***Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by July 11, 2021 by following this link. Your contact person is Barbara Kuersten. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.