The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Welthungerhilfe’s multiannual country programme in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) mainly focuses on projects that cover food security, agricultural support, infrastructure, WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) activities and capacity building of local partners. As Area Manager, you will implement and manage programmes and projects based on the specified directives in terms of content, schedule and budget. Working at the interface between development activities and humanitarian response, you will be expected to actively contribute to the overall governance of the Country Office and to the delivery of its strategic and annual operational plan. The projects are carried out in accordance with Welthungerhilfe standards and the directives and contractual agreements with the donors.
- Ensure that all projects in the area are implemented according to the DRC country programme and the rules and standards of the donors and Welthungerhilfe
- Manage and develop Welthungerhilfe activities in the Mambassa and Lokando area of operations
- Ensure sound financial management of allocated funds for the programme
- Report to the Country Director on the progress of the programme and all risks associated with the project work in the area
- Recruit and manage staff (expatriates and national) working in the Mambassa and Lokando regions according to Welthungerhilfe’s principles, staff policies and strategy and ensure their security
- Identify co-financing opportunities and develop successful project proposals in accordance with relevant donor regulations and policies (in collaboration with the Head of Programmes and the Country Director)
- Develop and measure preparedness plans for disasters and potential crises based on specific situations
- Ensure compliance with the countrywide security management system and establish an adaptive security plan for each site in accordance with the global security policy/guidelines of Welthungerhilfe.
- Represent Welthungerhilfe vis-à-vis all relevant national and international stakeholders and partners in the area
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field like international studies, natural resource management, agricultural development or civil society strengthening
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in the humanitarian/development sector, including experience in WASH, Food Security and/or Nutrition
- Solid administrative, logistical and financial managemet experience
- Proven experience in access, security and conflict management
- German donor experience would be an advantage
- Strong planning and coordination skills and broad intercultural competence
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Excellent spoken and written English and French
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
***Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by July 11, 2021 by following this link. Your contact person is Barbara Kuersten. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.