In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
To represent the interest of Geneva Call in Burkina Faso during the setting up phase of the Geneva Call field office. Put in place all the necessary actions to establish a new office ensuring effective implementation of Geneva Call programs. Liaise with national officials, international community representatives and local authorities within the scope of the given mandate. Evaluate and assess the field situation to prioritize actions for the deployment of the Geneva Call office.
· Develop the list of the external stakeholders, including state officials, UN, NGOs, Clusters, etc.
· In coordination with liaison officer start Geneva Call registration process. Identify different registration possibilities, as INGO, local organisation or private non-profit.
· Launch the registration of GC with INSO, INGO forum and OCHA humanitarian pool fund.
· Identify potential line ministries for GC to negotiate specific MOU.
· In coordination with liaison officer identify Law firm to support GC in registration process as well as provide further legal support on HR, Rent contract etc.
· Identify premises for the office using following criteria: security, suitability, condition, location and utilities.
· Prepare premises rental agreement and joint entry inventory.
· Provide support to HR Team to develop a salary grid according to the average PayScale of other INGOs.
· Identify insurance companies for health, transportation, premises etc. provide analysis and comparison table.
· Check local requirements for opening a GC bank account. Identify a reliable bank which is used by most of the INGOs: Cheque, online banking, mobile payments and ATM card (if relevant). In fragile contexts provide a second option.
· In coordination with Logistics officer, purchase all urgent equipment as soon as possible.
· Identify key suppliers: Stationary, IT, internet, travel agency, UNHAS flights, insurance, security agency, hospitals, etc.
· Provide a list of suitable accommodations for residing international staff and a list of hotels for visiting staff.
· Keep track of all the action and activities performed during the opening phase of Geneva Call Office
· Liaise with finance unit to follow the budget and cost allocations.
· Conduct risk assessment (including recommendation from INSO, UNDSS, embassies or other INGOs) and prepare proposals according to GC procurement policy.
· Equip the office with safety materials: First aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher, security camera in volatile security condition etc.
· Prepare office security plan (SOPs, contingency plan including medical evacuation, evacuation and crisis management), identify security focal point and security contact list.
· Identify referral hospitals and clinics for MedEvac and COVID 19 (in Capital and field level
· Provide technical input and supervision to coordinate the recruited staff (driver, finance officer) and ensure the implementation of the support tasks according to Geneva Call policies and procedures.
· Ensure the driver is appropriately trained and adheres to Geneva Call policies.
· Work within the framework of Geneva Call’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
· Work towards achieving programme objectives.
· Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all Geneva Call policies and procedures.
· Undertake role in developing countries and areas in conflict where standards of living may be basic.
· Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework.
· Understand and uphold the standards outlined in Geneva Call’s Safeguarding Framework, acting with due care and attention to safeguard the wellbeing of anyone that comes into contact with Geneva Call’s work and reporting concerns if they do arise.
Educational and previous experience
· At least 5 years of experience working in INGOs or IO in a developing country, preferably in Burkina Faso or the West Africa region.
· Minimum of 2 years of previous managerial position, developing, implementing and using logistics, administrative procedures and security management.
· Previous experience in opening new project in a new country.
· Experience with donor specific logistics procedures and practices.
· Experience of the management of budgets and ability to prepare timely and accurate reports.
· Understanding of Volatile context and risk management
· Ability to build security support net.
· French (C1-C2).
· English (C1-C2) would be added value.
· Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation.
· Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
· Interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with other stakeholders
· Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
The successful candidate will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
· Position : International consultancy for new mission opening – Burkina Faso
· 4 months contract
· Preferred start date: September 2021.
How to apply
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “International consultancy for new mission opening – Burkina Faso” no later than July 16, 2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further processing.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.